Chemical engineering technician
BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Chemical engineering technicians help chemical engineers to research, develop and manufacture plastics, medicines, foods, textiles and fuel.
1. Entry requirementsYou'll usually need to complete a college course in chemistry or engineering and then apply to a company for a trainee position.
You’ll need colour-normal vision and no skin allergies for some jobs.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) and Cogent Skills have more information about a career in the chemicals industry.
2. Skills required
- chemistry and maths skills
- spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to understand and present scientific data
- excellent IT skills
- problem-solving ability
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- helping to design, build or install production plant equipment
- carrying out laboratory experiments to develop new products
monitoring production processes
- recording data and making adjustments to machinery
- carrying out maintenance checks and making repairs
- making sure safety procedures are followed
- carrying out quality control checks
Starter: £18,000 to £22,000
Highly Experienced: £35,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work 37 to 40 hours a week.
In research and development, you might work 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, with occasional overtime.
In processing and manufacturing, you might work on a shift system that includes weekends, evenings and nights.
You’ll be based in a laboratory, office or process plant. In the mineral processing or oil exploration industries, you might be based in a remote part of the world.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could become a shift supervisor, eventually moving into maintenance or production management.
You could also move into materials development and design, quality control or sales and marketing.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 September 2018