Car fleet manager Transport manager
Car fleet managers look after the day-to-day operation of a company's vehicles.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements but some experience of business management, logistics, vehicle leasing or transport administration would be helpful.
You may be able to work your way up to this role after gaining experience in fleet administration. You could also take a college course.
If you've a degree you may be able to find a place on a graduate training scheme a fleet management company.
2. Skills required
- database and information analysis skills
- excellent negotiating skills
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- managing contracts and developing new business
- scheduling service, MOT and repair programmes
- using computer software to collect and analyse technical information about the fleet
- finding cost-effective sources of new vehicles
- coordinating the replacement of existing fleets
- ensuring the security of the vehicles when not in use
- organising staff cover
In larger companies, you'll work with business development professionals, account sales executives and fleet administrators.
Starter: £19,000 to £20,000
Experienced: £21,000 to £44,000
Highly Experienced: £45,000 to £50,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
You'll usually work 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday. You may have to work occasional late nights or weekends during busy periods.
Most of your work will take place in an office, but you may be expected to visit garages, vehicle auctions and manufacturers’ vehicle launches.
6. Career path and progression
You could progress to contracts manager or operations manager.
You could also move into related areas such as transport or freight management, or start your own consultancy business offering fleet management services.
You can also improve your career prospects by completing qualifications on the job like those offered by The Institute of Car Fleet Management.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 09 October 2018