Builders' merchants sell building and do-it-yourself products and materials to the building trade and the public.
1. Entry requirements
You may find it useful to have:
- GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in subjects like maths and English
- experience in construction, warehousing or retail
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
2. Skills required
- maths skills
- communication skills
3. What you'll do
You’ll sell building and do-it-yourself products to the building trade and the general public.
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- giving product information to customers
- loading and unloading deliveries by hand or with a forklift truck
- processing orders and handling payments
- moving goods to storage areas
- putting orders together and organising deliveries
- advising customers about which materials to use
Highly Experienced: £30,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work up to 40 hours a week on a shift rota.
You’ll divide your time between the store and the yard and you’ll usually wear protective clothing and safety boots.
If you work in the loading area or on deliveries you could be out in all weathers. You’ll need a reasonable level of fitness.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could progress to supervisor or manager.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 18 August 2017