Betting shop cashier Retail betting assistant
Betting shop cashiers work in high street bookmakers' shops, serving customers and handling bets.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements but employers may include a maths test as part of the recruitment process. They usually want applicants to have experience in customer service and an interest in sport.
A qualification in gambling operations, the horse-racing industry or in customer service, may also help you find work.
2. Skills required
- customer service and observation skills
- maths and IT skills
- the ability to cope with a fast-paced, varied workload
3. What you'll do
You’ll usually work in a high street shop, for a chain of bookmakers.
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- welcoming customers and offering refreshments
- explaining odds and different ways of betting
- using computerised systems to take bets and pay out winnings
- making sure the satellite TV, video and digital display systems are working
- keeping the shop clean and tidy and stocked with betting slips, pens and odds sheets
- giving information about products like gaming machines
- reporting any suspicious betting patterns or under-age gambling to the shop manager
- balancing takings after the shop closes for the day
Your busiest times will be when there are sporting events, elections and the run-up to Christmas.
Experienced: £15,000 to £25,000
Highly Experienced: £45,000 (manager of a group of shops)
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
Betting shops usually open around 8am and may stay open until 10pm, 7 days a week, including bank holidays. Some many close earlier on Sundays.
In a full-time job you’ll usually work 5 days out of 7, usually including Saturday. You’ll often work long hours behind the till. You may need to wear a uniform.
6. Career path and progression
With experience, you may be able to progress to assistant manager, deputy manager or shop manager. From there you could move on to managing multiple shops.
You could also choose to go into telephone, mobile or online betting. If you have language skills, you may find opportunities in overseas betting.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 April 2017